In treating your pet’s skin condition/s consistent treatment using medicated shampoos for best results. Medicated shampoos are commonly used as topical treatments to tackle specific skin conditions. To get the most of out of these shampoos (and save money in the long run) Dr. Cecilia suggests you do the following:
- Wash your pet off with a regular hypoallergenic cleansing shampoo (be sure to rinse it all off)! Medicated shampoos typically do not lather up, and are not formulated to cleanse the skin, but rather to treat an underlying skin condition.
- After being diluted in water, the medicated shampoo should be evenly applied to the hair coat (avoiding the eyes). Diluting the shampoo will help rinse it off the coat and minimize residue which may further irritate your pet’s skin.
- Dilute the shampoo by using 1 part shampoo to 3 or 4 parts water.
- If possible keep the medicated diluted shampoo on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinse off thoroughly. This is necessary because prolonged contact with the skin allows the ingredients in the medicated shampoo to penetrate and have full effect.
- Follow instructions for use of medicated shampoo as directed.
Dr. Cecilia will be glad to advise and instruct you on how to use medical shampoos as part of her treatment plan to combat your pet’s allergy. To schedule an appointment please contact Vet Home Express at 954-243-0269.